How many times in life do we wait? If we think about it, we probably spend most of our lives waiting for something! Sometimes good things, sometimes bad things–but it seems like minutes, days, weeks are spent simply waiting….
- For the bus or a friend to take us to work; or our car to warm up.
- The divorce papers to go through or the wedding date to arrive.
- Nine months of wondering what sex the baby will be or wading through the adoption proceedings, or if the in-vitro took.
- Wondering if the kid will ever be potty trained and then if they will ever grow up to be respectful, loving adults.
- For vacation to come–or even the weekend.
- The doctor’s call with results of the tests.
- Months of treatments and sickness to be over.
- One more minute of sobriety turning into years.
- Enough money.
- Your birth family to show up one day.
- Morning to arrive and a glorious sunrise/bedtime after a grueling day.
- The kids to all get along.
- Waking up every day with joy and no worries.
- Never looking back.
- For your dog to actually talk.
- The end of that triathlon, marathon, 5K.
- Life to really begin.
- The perfect blog piece.
- The yelling to stop or the bruises to heal.
- Summer to come or maybe winter if you like snow.
- A miracle.
How many more? What are you waiting for…? We wait for so much!
It feels like we’re often standing on the edge of a cliff and we don’t know what’s down below. But as we get closer, our heart thumps in our chests and peering over can be the death of us. So, we must just stand back and be patient–something that is not a virtue of mine!
Today I wait to hear the final word on the new job. Nothing huge really in the grand scheme of the list, but for some reason I feel nervous. Sleeping will be hard tonight–I’ll be up tossing and turning and, well, waiting. Why couldn’t they have emailed today?
But such is life: dots of doing little things connected by endless moments of waiting. So that, my blogging friends, is what I will continue to do…..